Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pull Apart Bread

Yesterday, I woke up in a very Martha Stewart mood... I was cooking, cleaning, and baking... AND watching TV online (we hooked the computer up to the TV, so instead of watching everything on my little laptop screen, I can see from far away again)
I might've had a little help in the cooking/baking/cleaning too.... This is our little Dog.... Isn't he sweet??? and isn't my floor dirty? This pic is from the cleaning part of the morning, when we were moving furniture and sweeping dust out from under things... Its much better now!

I found a recipe for Pull Apart Cheesy Herb Bread.... But since I didn't have any fresh herbs, I changed the filling and made them Pull Apart Garlic Tomato Cheesy Bread.
It was really simple, And I might make some more today, Taking into account what I learned on this loaf. I also forgot to take a picture of it out of the oven before we ate the whole thing (It was that good!). So all you get was the before photos (sorry).

Ok, so getting on with it. I didn't add many "making of" photos since there are a ton of them at the blog where I found this recipe. And you should go check it out, because I have a list of things on her site that I want to try - This was at the top of my list.
A Little Bit of Everything - Pull Apart Cheesy Herb Bread

Although it seems a bit monotonous, since i haven't changed this recipe at all (apart from my filling) I will add it here. But all the credit should go to Green Girl at A Little Bit of Everything, and not me.
Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package dry yeast
1 1/2 cup lukewarm milk/water
4-6 oz cheddar cheese
fresh dill and parsley
1 egg for brushing

Cream yeast with a little of the milk. Once yeast has dissolved, add in rest of milk and mix to combine.
Slowly add flour, mixing until the dough comes clean from the side of the bowl (you might not need all 4 cups... mine only took 3 1/2 cups before it was a good dough.)
Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size.
Once risen, divide into 10-12 balls and flatten them. (I got 12 balls, and i think next time, I will leave some out, because it was so packed that I couldn't "pull apart" my pull apart bread)
To make the filling shred the cheese and chop the herbs. Mix them. Place about 1-2 tbsp of the cheese-herb mixture on the flatten dough.
(My filling, i chopped a tomato, took out the middle, dried with paper towel, and then diced it in small pieces. I added a few cloves of minced garlic (I have this really cool garlic mincer that I got for Christmas a few years ago that works amazing). and some Parmesan cheese (not the real stuff... good ol' Kraft). I also had some grated cheese... Marble, because that is what I had in the fridge.

Above= my filling
Below = my filling on my flattened dough ball

Seal the pocket with a fork or with your fingers and place it in a greased loaf pan. Do the same with the rest. Leave again to rest at room temperature. When risen brush with egg wash and bake in preheated oven, at 375F, for about 35-40 minutes.
(I completely forgot to do the egg wash thing... oops)

I REALLY wish I had a competed picture for you too... because It was really pretty!!! And the combination of tomato and garlic and cheese really went well together! Would definitely be good for a pasta night. I also thing this would be great for a garlic bread, instead of just putting garlic butter on bread and serving it (garlic bread a la my mom)

Anyway, I definitely recommend trying this! It was delicious, and I think I am going to go make some more dough so We can have this for dinner again tonight.
Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!