Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Adventures in Squash


While I was grocery shopping, (and feeling adventurous) I bought some squash, because I have never really had it, and I have most definitely never cooked it (apart from Zucchini). I've had Butternut Squash soup before, and It seemed like the best way to go, as far as recipes are concerned, Since I know I already like it, and It would be great if I could just make it for myself.
I bought one Butternut squash and one Acorn Squash (completely new territory). I had to get the Boyfriend to cut the Acorn Squash open for me... I had visions of lost fingers after the first few attempts on my own. The butternut squash was much more friendly.
In all honesty, by the time I got around to testing out the Acorn Squash idea, I was a bit out of inspiration (I did A LOT of cooking and baking this weekend). So I was a little over being in the kitchen anymore at the acorn squash point.
This being said, I am going to share the Butternut Squash Soup I made. I didn't really have a recipe for it. I just went with the basic idea of my Grandma's Zucchini soup... and it worked. So I'm going to share it with everyone... without measurements, Because I didn't really use them myself, so how can I share them with you...


Above, the cut open Butternut Squash... with one side de-seeded. And below, the Butternut Squash seeds on a plate with the acorn Squash. (I love how this picture turned out)


Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash - peeled, de-seeded, cubed
Carrot - peeled, and cut into pieces

Potato - peeled, and cubed
Onion - cut up/diced

Cream of chicken soup (or whatever flavour you chose)

Garlic spices to taste
Butter


Saute onion in Butter, add minced garlic. Add carrot, Let cook a little, add squash and potatoe. Add in some of the soup (with milk/water).
Let cook until it is soft, and then let cool until easier to handle.
Add Spices to taste
Blend in small batches with a blender
(I used my
magic bullet... it is AWESOME!)
Add in more of the soup (with milk/water), to make the blending easier and the soup more "soupy"
.



The recipe will change to your own taste, depending on how much of each ingredient you use. It is a very simple recipe and very easy... and VERY delicious. I took some to work today for Lunch and it was even better than the day I made it. (guess what I'm taking for lunch tomorrow!)


In hindsight I should've used a different bowl to take the picture in... Although all the rest were in the dishwasher, so this was my only option.


This is the only picture I have from the Acorn squash experiment... They were okay, and I will probably attempt another Acorn Squash at some point (maybe if they go on sale again). But they just couldn't compete with the Butternut Squash Soup... not even close.




On one final non-cooking note... My new puppy is coming home this weekend and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited. She is 6 weeks old today... I don't have any recent pictures of her on my camera (just my phone) So here is one photo of the puppies when they were about 3 days old:
My puppy is the brown one at the bottom... They are way more cute now that they are out of, what we were calling, the guinea pig stage. (because, do they not look like little guinea pigs??)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!