Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lemon-Lime Curd


OMG I think my taste buds might have just died and gone to heaven...

I've never had lemon curd or lime curd ever before... Well, except Lemon Meringue pie, But I've never had a homemade one... Just store bought kits with homemade Meringue on top...
Semi-homemade?
Either way the lemon part was never homemade, it was a package that you mix with another package and pour in a pie shell and then put the meringue on top and then bake...
Fake homemade? Semi-homemade is probably more Politically correct though right?
Assisted homemade?
Anyway... I've never had it before.
Until this morning


Last night I was stalking Tastespotting and saw a pretty little jar filled with some creamy looking stuff, so I clicked on the picture, and found this Blog, with this recipe (the pretty jar stuff).

I wanted to make just Lime Curd, but the Limes I bought were not very juicy, So luckily I had some Lemons too... Thus Lemon-Lime Curd.



Lemon Lime Curd
(adapted from Sweet Savory Planet)

3 Large Eggs
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup, but found it a little sweet, so next time I'm going to do the 1/3 cup instead)
Zest of 1 lime
1/2 cup fresh Lemon and Lime juice (I used about 1/4 cup of each)
1/4 cup Butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp. Vanilla


Whisk eggs and sugar in a saucepan until they are a light lemony color (I whisked about 5 minutes, maybe a little longer... switch arms for a more even work out lol) You can use a stand mixer to do this part too... But I HATE doing dishes, so I would rather just whisk by hand for 5 minutes instead of doing extra dishes
Add in the zest, lime juice, and butter
Place saucepan over medium heat and constantly whisk until mixture starts to thicken. Allow it to come to a simmer for a few seconds and then remove from heat.
Add in vanilla
Cool to room temperature and then place in a container in the fridge
It thickens more as it cools.
If you don't want zest in your finished curd, then run through a fine mesh strainer before you put it in the fridge. I didn't strain mine this time because I don't have a fine mesh strainer, so next time I'm at the store, I will be buying one. My long strands of zest were kind of annoying.
(my jar isn't pretty like the one at Sweet Savory Planet... Because it was a jar of baby artichoke hearts originally, and I don't have any pretty fabric to cover the ugly yellow lid... But look at Mother Nature's April Fool's joke to us... another 8 inches or so of snow on the ground... Fortunately, The Lemon Lime Curd makes it less depressing)

And Now, I may just be hooked on this Curd stuff... I'm wondering what Grapefruit curd would taste like? Pink lemonade (the grapefruit stuff) is one of my favourite drinks (although, I've never made it myself either, maybe I should be adding these things to my bucket list), so I'm betting it would be good in curd-form too... I'm going to have to think on this one...


Coming soon (because it is in the oven right now): Coconut Bread (also from Sweet Savory Planet) because I was so inspired by the Lime Curd, I had to make her Coconut Bread too)

Wilson an Ava helping in the kitchen <3


UPDATE:
Link to my Coconut Bread Post

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment!