Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Orange Chicken




Tomorrow is garbage day around these parts...

Which means today is cleaning day

Which means yesterday i told the boyfriend that he needs to help me clean up the house today

Which means he will probably be home late, and I will already be done cleaning by the time he gets home

EXCEPT that I remembered that I need to share a recipe with you...

I'm sure between the 2 of us, we will get the garbage on the curb before we leave for work in the morning.... hopefully


But none of that is your problem... But if it sounds familiar, and you just bought some oranges, and stir-fry peas, and green pepper, and pineapple and Chicken... Then make this for dinner, because it is really yummy, and delicious and apart from marinating time (which isn't necessary, but it helps the flavour sink in better), it comes together pretty fast. I made this last week on garbage-day-eve





Orange Chicken
Inspired by Spicy Sumo Chicken at The Enchanted Cook


Chicken Breast - cut up in cubes
Oranges (I used Naval Oranges, because they were on sale, but you can use whatever kind you want)
Green Onion
Garlic and Ginger (amount depends on your taste)
Pineapple tidbits (unless you don't like pineapple, then don't use it)
Bell Pepper (I used Green because they were cheaper, but the dish probably would've been more pretty if I used a red one)
Sesame Oil
Spices to taste
Dried chillies



Honestly, I did 2 versions of this dish. One right away, and one marinated, which we had the following day. I liked the marinated one better. But the one we ate right away was delicious too, So just go on what amount of time you have to work with


If you are marinating, then cut up your chicken, Zest the orange(s), and then juice them, and reserve as much of the inner fruit as possible to add to the dish. Mince garlic and ginger. Add in any spices you wish. I used about 5 dried chillies, but I wish I had used more. Fresh chillies probably would've been a better idea too. Add in some Soy Sauce and Sesame Oil and make sure you stir well... and occasionally when it is sitting in the fridge.



Also, feel free to tweak this "recipe" to whatever you have on hand, and also what you like to eat. If you aren't going to marinate, It is easiest if you still assemble the ingredients like this, let it sit for as long as you can (maybe a minimum of an hour), and then continue



One the chicken is done marinating, Heat up a saute pan and then pour in the prepared chicken and marinade. Heat up, stirring often. When the chicken is mostly cooked, add in your vegetables and continue to stir often. Let the sauce cook down a bit. I also added in some left over coconut milk from when I made the Coconut Bread, which added in a nice hint of coconut flavour.



While all that is going on, make your rice. I just use Minute Rice, because it is easy and I really like it.



When everything is done, serve your Orange chicken on a bead of fluffy Minute Rice.







Coming soon.... Black Forest Cake (yep! I checked it off the Bucket List!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!