Thursday, April 14, 2011

NOT grandma's Bran Muffins


I'm not a huge bran muffin fan...

Actually that is a lie... Every once in a while I get a Bran Muffin craving...

And I'm usually disappointed.

Store bought Bran muffins are boring and not very yummy... and I never end up eating all 6 of them, since they are boring and not very yummy.

My grandma used to make really good bran muffins, and in the cook book she just gave me, has the Bran muffin recipe she used... Which isn't what these are... but I will try and make them on my next Bran muffin craving kick (probably)

I kind of just went rogue and made my own... Well, I tweaked the Blueberry Bran muffin recipe from Joy of Baking... a lot

so without further ado... (where did that saying even come from? am I using it correctly?)



Apple Peach and Blueberry Bran Muffins
(with oats and flax and whole wheat too)
(and no added sugar!)


3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup Wheat Bran
3 TBSP Milled Flax Seed
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 large egg White (slightly beaten)
1/4 cup Molasses
1 cup buttermilk (I used regular milk, with 1 TBSP added vinegar)
3 TBSP Coconut Oil
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Apple and Peach - cut into small pieces
Blueberries
(make your fruit equal about one and a half cups)


Prepare Muffin Tin - grease top and use paper liners
Melt the Coconut Oil so it is Liquid
Preheat Oven to 375 F
Add the vinegar to the milk if you aren't using commercial buttermilk
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl - Whisk together well
Combine all the wet ingredients in a small bowl - Whisk to combine
Add wet ingredients to the dry - stir to combine (stir as little as possible until everything is combined... the more mixing you do, the less your muffins will rise)
Fold in the fruit. Be careful with the blueberries or the batter will be blue. If you use frozen fruit (my blueberries and peaches were both frozen) Keep it in the freezer until just before you put them in the batter
Divide the batter evenly between your muffin cups (I got 12 muffins out of the batter)
Sprinkle some old fashioned Rolled oats on the top


Bake for about 20 minutes. Use a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins to check for done-ness

Enjoy...
You could add sugar to make these sweeter, But I kind of like them without the added sugar.

1 comment:

  1. I also made Strawberry/Blueberry/Apple
    and Blackberry/Blueberry too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!