Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 2011 Daring Baker Challenge


Blog-checking lines: The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!


This month, I was pretty un-inspired... which is why I didn't add my photo of my challenge on the forums until today... I intended to go back and try different things, But Life... She's a bitch sometimes... and she's got puppies..



So I made maple mouse,
and I made bacon cups....
and I put the maple mouse in the bacon cups,
expecting to be very grossed out and never want to eat either again (because I'm not a huge bacon fan to begin with)
and it was actually good...
Honestly, I wouldn't really eat it again, but Maple Syrup on breakfast is a definite Yes (but I do that already on the odd occasion that I actually eat a proper "breakfast"
I might make the mouse again... It was really good, but the bacon cups were not worth the effort, Although they did look good when I made a Salad in them instead

My dad loved the maple mouse bacon cup, and had 3 of them... So whatever floats your boat

OH, HERE is the link for the recipes and info... I didn't try anything new, so I'm not going to claim any knowledge of this one, But I definitely recommend checking out the other blogs and going and voting for the winner of this month's challenge!!!




I'm loving the DB challenges because I have done things that I never would have dreamt up myself. I never would've made Pana Cotta, or Maple Mouse, or the sponge cake thing from January... So even if my effort at the challenge this month was uninspired, I still felt like I learned something new from it. So thank you Evelyne!
Also... Maple Syrup is not as easy to find here in Calgary as you may suspect... We don't have Maple Trees here, I don't think they are fans of Chinook Winds and 4 days of summer

Here is the newest pic of Ava... She's growing like a weed, and has her first vet appointment tomorrow... Pretty exciting!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I felt the same way you did! Not my favorite challenge, but the mousse was good and easy. Check Costco - they have maple syrup for about 1/2 the price of the regular grocery stores here in Langley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a bottle for $6.99 which wasn't too bad...
    Costco is too tempting... They have too much cool stuff to taunt me, so we avoid going there too much... Although, with the amount of food Ava is eating, I should start buying her puppy food there instead

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!