Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cheese Men

It is currently after midnight, and I have to be up in 6 hours to go to work...

And I can't sleep. Counting sheep won't work. Poking the snoring boyfriend in the ribs doesn't help for long either. Plus Wilson keeps encroaching on my side of the bed... and He might be a little dog, but he takes up a hell of a lot of room. Plus, Ava keeps getting up to drink water, and she is a loud little drinker.

So I'm going to post my Cheese Men recipe... They don't have to be Men... they could be whatever shape you want them to be. Originally they started out as a Cheese Straw recipe, but I wanted to play with my new mini gingerbread men cookie cutters too. The Cheese Men, ended up much better and flakier than the Cheese straws (more rolling helped that I'm guessing)


Cheese Men

2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar (I used Marble cheese for this one)
3/4 cup Butter
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup water


Preheat Oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper

Whisk flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt together

Cut in the butter until well combined

Stir in cheese

Add water a little at a time to make a very stiff dough

On a lightly floured surface, roll out pieces of dough very thin. Dip cookie cutter in flour, and cut out men... Continue until all the dough has been used up. (to make Cheese straws, roll the dough into fat-pencil sized shapes, about 4-5 inches in length)



Arrange your army of cheese men on the baking sheet and Bake about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.


Below, Cheese Straws. Yummy, but I preferred the Cheese-Men


2 comments:

  1. mmmmmm yum! Those look so delicious. Hubby would love them... might have to bake them this weekend. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem! They are great as soup crackers too ;) (If you roll them really thin)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!